One question I get asked often is “How can I cook pheasant different?”
This question has a simple answer, “However you want!”
Pheasant is one of the most versatile upland game meats. Roughly the size of a small chicken with mild flavors this game bird can be treated just like a chicken. Pheasants like all birds can be broken down to create amazing dishes. I treat my pheasants just like you would a whole chicken, I use the breasts, legs, thighs and wings. I’ll also save the gizzards, heart and liver.
Pheasant are often referred to as the “Ditch chicken” we even call the males roosters and the females hens.
Now let’s get into the reason you’re really reading this blog, the amazing recipes! Here I’ve taken pheasant breasts and created a delicious sandwich, the whole dinner took me no more than 30 minutes.
Pheasant Parmesan & Mozzarella Sandwiches
4-6 Pheasant breasts
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
2 teaspoons cracked pepper
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1. Start out by rinsing and patting dry your pheasant breasts and setting aside
2. In large shallow bowl mix together all dry ingredients with fork, make sure all spices and seasonings are mixed throughout
3. In another bowl crack egg and add milk, gently whisk together
4. Start out my lightly dredging pheasant breasts in flour mixture
5. Next dip in egg mixture
6. Followed by another dredge in flour mixture shaking loose extra flour
7. Side breasts aside and allow to rest for 10 minutes
8. While resting add 2-3 cups of cooking oil to pan and heat over medium-high heat
9. After breasts have rested dredge a third time shaking off loose flour and add to the frying pan. Be carefully not to crowd, I do it in batches of two. Be careful not to mess around to much with your breasts while they are cooking, if so this will cause the breading to become weak and fall off. Allow each breast about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
10. Remove breasts and let them drain on a paper towel covered plate.
11. While pheasant are still hot out of the frying pan top with sliced mozzarella and Parmesan cheese
12. Using your favorite roll and marina sauce start to build your sandwich
13. Bread, sauce, pheasant, cheese, pheasant, cheese, sauce, chopped fresh basil, bread!!