Let’s talk pizza!
Pizza is one of my families favorite meals. Not only do we love eating it but, we love making it as well. One of our favorite style of pizzas is what we call “leftover pizza” this is as simple as it sounds. We make our dough and top it with our leftovers. We’ve come up with some fun ones like…
Venison Taco pizza
Pulled pork pizza
Avocado and roasted pheasant pizza
And the list goes on & on…
Recently we smoked half of our spring wild turkey and it was amazing. I found myself with a little smoked turkey left after our meal, it wasn’t enough for a giant leftover dinner, but just enough to make a small meal with. I got thinking and decided it was time for a leftover pizza night.
I made some fresh dough ((see recipe below)) chopped the onion, cilantro and decided it was time to create “Smoked BBQ turkey pizza.” Using a smoked BBQ sauce, mozzarella & smoked Gouda I created one of my families favorite leftover pizzas to date. I also decided to try a new method “ to me” which had me cooking our pizza in our cast iron skillet. This created a deep dish style pizza that added to the perfection of our dinner.
Below you’ll find my dough recipe and cooking methods, but as for toppings, sauces and creativity that’s up to you. Make leftover pizza night a weekly dinner in your house and get the kids involved with the creativity and cooking. We have a saying in our household.
“Everything is better when wrapped in a tortilla or topped on a pizza.”
So get creative and have fun!
- Pizza Dough
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- • Preheat your oven to 450F
- • In glass bowl dissolve yeast with sugar in warm water, allow to become frothy and creamy about 10 minutes
- • Mix in flour, salt and oil, mix until dough forms.
- • Allow to rest 35 minutes covered.
- • Turn dough on floured cutting board, pat and roll into ball. Next flatten out and create your crust.
- • Transfer to greased pizza pan.
- • Top with your favorite topping and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted
Cast Iron Skillet Pizza:
- preheat oven to 450F
- grease your cast iron skillet with oil, butter or lard
- place your dough in skillet and shape and mold to fit
- bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Fire Grilled Pizza
- heat grill to medium heat
- brush olive oil on one side of pizza dough and place on grill
- brush the other side as one side cooks
- flip dough after 2 minutes cooking.
- add toppings and lower heat to low
- grill until cheese is melty and yummy.