Taco Tuesday at our house has to be one of our favorite days of the week. My oldest daughter loves tacos and we are always trying to find new ways to make them. This recipe is an older one but finally writing it out and sharing it with you all. Taco pie is simple and delicious and easy enough the kids can help. Best part of this dish is any of your wild game meat can be used.
Wild Game Taco Pie:
1 pound ground wild game
½ Onion, diced
1 cup corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 cup tomatoes diced
½ cup cilantro, minced
1 can green chilies
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
¼ cup taco seasoning*
1 pie crust, homemade or store bought
2 flour tortillas
1.5 cups shredded cheese
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
Salt & pepper to taste
(Can swap for corn tortillas and remove pie crust to make gluten free)
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees, take your cast iron skillet fill the bottom with pie crust and bake for 15-20 minutes until crust is browned
- While pie crust is cooking start working on the filling, in skillet brown onions & garlic, add ground meat and brown.
- Mix taco seasoning with meat and ¾ cup of water or beer, bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer.
- While simmering add green chilies, cilantro, tomatoes, black beans and corn and cook for additional 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Remove pie crust from oven and lower oven temp to 350
- Place ½ the meat mixture on top of the pie crust followed by ½ cup cheese, top that with a tortilla repeat process
- Fishing off with crushed tortillas and cheese, bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with your favorite toppings and serve.