Wild Turkey Mexican Pizzas
With fast food being easier for many of us to grab as a quick dinner, we are allowing ourselves to ditch the dinner table for a drive thru window. One thing I love to do is recreate some of our old favorites from the drive thru window using fresh and wild ingredients. This wild turkey Mexican pizza is on of those dishes. It takes as much time to make as you’d spend driving, ordering and driving home from your favorite south of the border quick meal restaurant. I used ground wild turkey but you could use any wild game meat you’ve got in the freezer. Let’s get into how I create a healthier version of this delicious dish
1 pound ground wild turkey (or any game meat)
¼ cup taco seasoning (see my homemade recipe)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cracked pepper
¼ cup water
You can use canned retried beans or make mashed beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
2 tablespoons tacos seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. You can bake or fry your tortillas. I enjoy baking mine at 350 until crispy
3. In skillet add garlic and Worcestershire and start to brown garlic over medium heat. Add wild game meat and brown. Once meat has browned add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes. This allows the seasoning to soak into the meat.
4. While meat is cooking add your beans to a medium pot along with seasoning. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, summer 4-5 minutes. Using a potato masher mash them until smooth
5. Chop all your toppings, use any your family like, you don’t need to use mine at all. Be creative
1. Take a crispy tortilla and add beans, spreading all over the top. Add meat next.
2. Place next tortilla on top of meat, beans and bass tortilla. Cover top with salsa, tomatoes and cheese
3. Add any other remains dry toppings
4. Place in oven for 5- 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly
5. Remove and top with sour cream, guacamole and any other toppings you’d enjoy.
6. Now dig in!!!